Image Map

Monday, October 25, 2010

Finding your decorating style


So I've encountered some questions about knowing what your actual decorating "style" is. If you don't know what you like, it's hard to start looking, right? For the life of me, I couldn't point out just what my style was until I started looking around at pictures. I naturally was drawn to luxury, sparkle. I'm also in love with green. I discovered that my favorite "look" was the old Hollywood glamour- you get the wow factor with some vintage. Here's just a fun quiz I found that can point you in the right direction.

Take quiz here
These were my results... go figure!

Also, as you can see I do like some other things, and I think it's important to have a mix. If you like modern, but EVERYTHING in your house is modern, it looks too cold. Likewise, if I put too many crystal chandeliers and sparkly things in a room, it can look cheesy, or like a little girl's princess room. Every space should be just a little eclectic.. Get what you LIKE not necessarily what you think will go just right. If you love something, there's a way to make it work at least somewhere in your house.
Another way to figure out just what you like is to see what sort of stores grab your attention. Maybe you're drawn to the exotic, colorful feel of Pier 1. Maybe you get a thrill from flea markets and antique shops. Perhaps you love the glam of Z Gallerie or the crisp lines at Ikea. Just knowing what you're drawn to (and even what you've already bought in your home) helps to know what you'll want to commit to.
I feel like this picture is a great example of mixing styles. I L.O.V.E this room by Mary McDonald. Horizontal stripes on the wall make it modern, as do the lamps and crisp white side tables. The tufted green seats add a little bit of glamour and luxury. There's that Asian inspired coffee table with curved legs (so unique!) and notice in the middle of the sofa, that floral pillow looks very vintage.

1 comment:

  1. I took the quiz and here are my results :)

    44% Hollywood Couture
    33% Cottage Chic
    23% French eclectic

    Sounds like we have some similar tastes!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...