Image Map

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

recipe time

I made a tasty, colorful salad today and posted it on instagram. As promised, I am posting the how-to. So yes I DO share recipes! It's not my own though, I found it on pinterest. Duh.. This is the original. If you haven't jumped on the quinoa bandwagon yet, what are you waiting for?!

Thai Cashew Quinoa Salad... (vegan and gluten-free)


Ingredients
  • ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1-2 cups shredded red cabbage, depending on how much crunch you like
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • ½ red onion, diced (I omitted this- I don't like too much onion)
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • ½ cup chopped cilantro
  • ¼ cup diced green onions
  • ½ cup cashew halves or peanuts
  • Optional: 1 cup edamame or chickpeas
  • Fresh lime, for a bit of tang
  • For the dressing:
  • ¼ cup all natural peanut butter
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
  • 3 tablespoon soy sauce, gluten-free if desired
  • 1 tablespoon honey (use agave if vegan- or if you hate honey like me!)
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • Water to thin, if necessary


Cook quinoa in 1 1/2 cups of water for 10 min and fluff with a fork.
Microwave peanut butter and honey/agave for 20 sec then add the rest of dressing ingredients.
Toss it all together!
I thought the recipe needed a little more zing, so I added more lime and some sriracha!
And since I decided to share after all, I added some chicken so my husband wouldn't be like.. where's the meat? ;)

It supposedly tastes even better the next day. We shall see!

Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1/6th of recipe Calories:
260 Fat: 13.5g Carbohydrates: 27.7g Sugar: 7g Fiber: 4.3gProtein: 8.6g


 photo stephanie-sig_zpse9faeb59.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...